Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Sad men with guitars

I'm a sucker for a sad man with an acoustic guitar.


Mark Kozelek. Picture from Amoeba.com.

I'm not sure how it happened, but most of my favourite artists fall comfortably into this category; Bonnie "Prince" Billy, Hayden, Bon Iver, Richard Buckner, to name a few.

This begs the question  - am I sad because I listen to depressing music, or do I listen to depressing music because I'm sad?

The answer to which is tricky, because I'm not actually depressed. And I don't think these artists are, either. In fact, I've seen many of them perform live and was surprised at their sheer jollity.

I mention this because one of my favourite sad men is coming to town on Friday. Mark Kozelek, of Red House Painters and Sun Kil Moon, is playing the West End Cultural Centre for a mere $20ish dollars on Friday, November 4th. Unfortunately, the concert conflicts with another major stud who has an event that night, but I've made my choice.

I literally stumbled across Sun Kil Moon when I was at work a few years ago. I was putting some CDs away and found Ghosts of the Great Highway misfiled in the opera section. Instead of putting it away in its proper place, I brought it home and gave it a listen.  It's been a musical staple for me ever since.

Listen, and enjoy.


4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the introduction to Sun Kil Moon. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My pleasure. I'm glad you like them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely! They should come to Folkfest!

    ReplyDelete