Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

"Sometimes I want to go home and stay out of sight for a long time."

A picture I took some years ago.

It's no secret I'm a modern-day hermit. The fact I have to drag myself out of my cosy little nest on a daily basis often fills me with disgruntlement, especially in winter.




 




  
Midlake provides the perfect soundtrack for this state of being, especially their 2006 album The Trials of Van Occupanther. I try not to toss around words like 'ethereal', but sometimes it's hard to avoid - especially when describing this album. It's like a contemporary, woodsy version of Rumours, and you really can't go wrong with Fleetwood Mac comparisons. 





I picture Thoreau listening to this album while tending to his bean fields. There's just something about it that reminds me of living in the woods with little else than your modest home to your name.

2 comments: