Search This Blog

Friday, January 13, 2012

Don't Stop Thinking About Tomorrow

A few years ago, I fell in love. It was an unconventional relationship from the start, as my mate of choice was actually comprised of five different people. These five people alternately loved and hated each other, but while all them emotions were flying high, they created some of the greatest pop music of the 20th century.

I'm talking, of course, about Fleetwood Mac.

Aren't they adorable?

For me, Fleetwood Mac can be filed under '"music I used to think was my lame because my parents liked it, but I grew to like it too once I wisened up."

I even passed on my love of Fleetwood Mac to some friends of mine - friends who generally thought my musical tastes were too "out there" to be any good. We used to cruise down Pembina in my parents' sweet-ass station wagon, blasting Rumours and thinking we were the coolest folks in town.

We spent one summer weekend at my friend's cottage near Victoria Beach. No parents, no boys, just the three best girlfriends that anyone could have. Naturally, Fleetwood Mac was the soundtrack to our debauchery.

One evening, my friend's aunt (whose cottage was just down the road) stopped by to say hello. "Go Your Own Way" was playing on the boom box. We were having a wild time.

"What's wrong with you guys?" said the aunt. "This is old person music. This is my music. You're not supposed to like this!"


How could we not?



2 comments:

  1. Love fleetwood Mac! I was really depressed when they came, and my boss got box seats.

    Hopefully, maybe they'll come again and we can go :)

    ReplyDelete