Search This Blog

Saturday, January 7, 2012

I'm Getting Back Into Getting Back Into You

This is how I feel about school right now.



Like many of my favourite bands, I first discovered the Silver Jews at work, a few years ago. I was putting some CDs away and the Tanglewood Numbers caught my eye. I'd heard of the Silver Jews before, and some quick research revealed lead-Jew David Berman was in cahoots with some of my other favourite music dudes (Will Oldham and Stephen Malkmus). I had to give them a listen.

Though Tanglewood Numbers isn't their most critically acclaimed album, it's the one I like best. David Berman dishes out depressive, downer alt-country-rock like no other. And he does it with a smile.

This album is perfect for any pity party. I give it a spin whenever I'm feeling glum, and it reminds me that it's best to deal with life's small sorrows as cheerily as possible. If David Berman can sing "Now my ex-wife's living in the suburbs with her guru and her mom," and still sound somewhat upbeat, then I can surely deal with whatever stresses life throws my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment